- The Washington Times - Saturday, February 21, 2026

President Trump on Saturday said he will bump up the temporary global tariff on imported goods from 10% to 15%, a day after the Supreme Court struck down his initial duties.

He said on social media that his decision is based on “a thorough, detailed, and complete review of the ridiculous, poorly written, and extraordinarily anti-American decision on Tariffs issued yesterday” by the high court.

The tariffs will be raised “effective immediately” on several counties that “have been ‘ripping’ the U.S. off for decades.”



His initial 10% tariffs on foreign goods, via Section 122 of the Trade Act of 1974, came Friday and marked his dissatisfaction with the high court.

In their 6-3 ruling, the justices said Mr. Trump overstepped by invoking the International Emergency Economic Powers Act to impose the tariffs.

“I’m ashamed of certain members of the court, absolutely ashamed for not having the courage to do what’s right for our country,” he said at a White House press briefing hours after the ruling.


SEE ALSO: Trump rips justices’ tariffs ruling, says he’ll use other authorities to impose 10% global tariff


Section 122 lets presidents establish a baseline tariff to close trade deficits, limited to 150 days unless extended by Congress.

Under the directive that Mr. Trump signed Friday night, the 10% tariff was scheduled to take effect starting Tuesday.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Now he’s raising the tariffs to the maximum amount allowed under Section 122.

The new 15% global tariff signifies a major cut to previously issued tariffs on countries, but it’s the same for some.

The president said his administration is conducting probes under other authorities to impose tariffs for national security purposes or to correct trade imbalances.

“During the next short number of months, the Trump Administration will determine and issue the new and legally permissible Tariffs, which will continue our extraordinarily successful process of Making America Great Again,” Mr. Trump said Saturday.


SEE ALSO: U.S. companies scramble for refunds after Supreme Court rejects Trump’s blanket tariffs


The Supreme Court’s ruling did not include duties issued under other legal authorities for steel, aluminum and autos.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Mr. Trump’s latest announcement puts companies in limbo after scrambling to secure refunds for the payments to U.S. customs over the past year following the Supreme Court’s ruling.

• Mary McCue Bell can be reached at mbell@washingtontimes.com.

Copyright © 2026 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.