Former Vice President Mike Pence praised the Supreme Court’s ruling against President Trump’s global tariffs, welcoming the ruling as a “sigh of relief” for American families and businesses.
The former right-hand man to Mr. Trump said on social media that the decision is a “victory for the American People and a Win for the Separation of Powers enshrined in the Constitution of the United States.”
The Supreme Court ruled Friday that the president exceeded his powers, as the International Emergency Economic Powers Act doesn’t let him levy such tariffs.
This decision is a major blow to a key component of the White House’s economic agenda.
Mr. Pence’s comments highlight the divide between traditional Republican free-trade principles and Mr. Trump’s populist movement.
The former vice president had been outspoken in his criticism of Mr. Trump’s tariffs, telling Bloomberg last month that he hoped the Supreme Court would overturn the president’s policies.
On Friday, Mr. Pence said the ruling “reaffirmed that the Constitution grants Congress — not the President — the power to tax.”
He added, “I’m proud of the work our organization @AmericanFreedom has done on this case through our robust amicus brief program to advance economic freedom and defend the Constitution. With this historic decision, America can now return to the pursuit of Free Trade with Free Nations under the Constitution of the United States!”
After Mr. Trump’s first term in office, he has bashed his former vice president after a public falling out, primarily due to the Jan. 6, 2021, Capitol riot. Mr. Trump pressured Mr. Pence to overturn the 2020 election results, which the vice president refused to do.
Mr. Pence, founder of the conservative policy organization Advancing American Freedom, refused to endorse his former boss in 2024.
• Mary McCue Bell can be reached at mbell@washingtontimes.com.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.