A 59-year-old man died this week while in the custody of ICE, marking the seventh death so far in 2026, Senate Democrats said Wednesday.
They didn’t provide any details of the circumstances but demanded better access to inspect U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement facilities.
“Despite this shocking update, ICE and DHS continue to restrict congressional oversight of detention facilities, denying accountability for this administration and justice for the victims’ families,” Sen. Richard Durbin, who represents Illinois and serves as the top Democrat on the Senate Judiciary Committee, said on social media.
The Washington Times has reached out to ICE for this story.
ICE’s detention capabilities have come under scrutiny amid President Trump’s push for mass deportations.
The agency now fills about 70,000 beds every day, up from slightly less than 40,000 when President Biden left office.
SEE ALSO: ICE saw 353% increase in use of force after Trump took over
• Stephen Dinan can be reached at sdinan@washingtontimes.com.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.