- The Washington Times - Tuesday, February 17, 2026

Tehran sent alarming signals across the Middle East on Tuesday by partially closing the Strait of Hormuz for hours ahead of high-stakes nuclear negotiations between Iranian and U.S. officials in Geneva.

Iran announced the closure of parts of the Strait of Hormuz, the Persian Gulf and the Gulf of Oman as the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps conducted live-fire drills in the area.

The waterways are some of the most essential to international shipping. At least 20% of the world’s oil passes through them each year.



The temporary closure of the passages could offer clues to Iran’s strategy for responding to any U.S. military strikes.

Iran had never before officially closed the Strait of Hormuz, though its officials have consistently threatened to do so during moments of high tension. Over the years, Iranian forces have routinely seized international ships in the strait.

U.S. Central Command, responsible for American personnel in the region, did not immediately comment on the closure. CENTCOM previously said that Iran had the right to act legally in international waters but cautioned against targeting U.S. warships.


SEE ALSO: Ayatollah Khamenei says Iran can sink any U.S. aircraft carrier in the area


Meanwhile, U.S. and Iranian delegations met in Geneva.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, who is leading the Islamic republic’s delegation, said talks were constructive and that the “path for a deal has started,” though he did not clarify what exactly was discussed.

Advertisement
Advertisement

“We came to some agreements and some main principles. And based on those principles, we will eventually draft a document,” Mr. Araghchi said. “We are hopeful we can achieve this.”

He confirmed that the two sides had not agreed on a date for a third round of talks. He said Tehran and Washington will have time to draft proposed agreements to be exchanged at the next meeting.

“This does not mean that we can reach an agreement quickly, but at least the path has begun,” Mr. Araghchi told reporters.

The U.S. delegation, led by U.S. Special Envoy Steve Witkoff and President Trump’s son-in-law Jared Kushner, met separately with Omani Foreign Minister Badr al-Busaidi.


SEE ALSO: Trump urges Iran, Cuba to make deals — or else


Mr. al-Busaidi echoed Mr. Araghchi, writing that both sides had made “serious efforts” at identifying “common goals and relevant technical issues.”

Advertisement
Advertisement

The meetings reportedly focused on nuclear issues, with both sides exchanging notes via Omani mediators. Iran has attempted to keep the discussions centered on the country’s nuclear program. Mr. Trump initially insisted that negotiations also cover Tehran’s ballistic missile program and its support for regional proxy groups.

U.S. negotiators under Mr. Trump ruled out letting Tehran keep its nuclear program during last year’s discussions, which were interrupted in June by a 12-day war pitting Israel and the U.S. against Iran. The war decimated Tehran’s defense infrastructure and culminated with U.S. preemptive strikes on key uranium enrichment sites in Iran.

This month’s negotiations are the first official diplomatic talks between Tehran and Washington since the war.

Mr. Araghchi reiterated that Iran is not seeking a nuclear weapon and that its uranium enrichment program is within the bounds of international law.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Atomic analysts have long warned that although Iran may not possess a nuclear weapon, its enrichment level is far too high for purely civilian purposes. Before the June war, Iran’s nuclear enrichment level sat at 60%, just a few steps away from weapons-grade.

Iran may be more willing to offer concessions on its nuclear program this time. The clerical regime is under intense pressure after nationwide protests in January. Still, Mr. Araghchi has insisted that Iran will not give up its nuclear program without sanctions relief.

Iran’s supreme leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, asserted that the U.S. military assets in the region are not invincible and reiterated that Tehran would respond violently if attacked.

“An aircraft carrier is a dangerous machine, but even more dangerous than that is the weapon capable of sending it to the bottom of the sea,” he said, according to Iranian media. “The strongest military in the world might sometimes receive a blow so hard that it can’t stand up again.”

Advertisement
Advertisement

Mr. Trump dispatched the aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln to the region last month after Iran’s brutal crackdown on protesters. Last week, the president said the USS Gerald R. Ford, the largest U.S. aircraft carrier, would also be sent to the region.

Mr. Trump has repeatedly threatened to launch military strikes if Iran fails to reach a diplomatic solution to its nuclear program.

On Monday, Mr. Trump once again called on Iran to make a deal with the U.S. and said he would be at least “indirectly” involved in negotiations.

Several Middle Eastern countries, including U.S. partners Israel, Egypt and Saudi Arabia, have expressed concern about the outsize impact on the region of any U.S. military action against Iran.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Iran has strongly asserted that it would aggressively respond to any U.S. military strike and that U.S. personnel in the region would be legitimate targets. The Middle East hosts at least 19 U.S. military sites and at least 40,000 troops.

• Mike Glenn and Tom Howell Jr. contributed to this report.

• Vaughn Cockayne can be reached at vcockayne@washingtontimes.com.

Copyright © 2026 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.