- The Washington Times - Tuesday, February 17, 2026

The Trump administration’s crackdown on political bias in broadcast television has spilled into the Texas Senate race.

State Rep. James Talarico — who’s running in the March 3 Democratic primary for U.S. Senate for a chance to flip the seat currently held by GOP Sen. John Cornyn — got pulled into the drama after late-night host Stephen Colbert told his audience CBS blocked the Talarico interview from airing.

“He was supposed to be here, but we were told in no uncertain terms by our network’s lawyers, who called us directly, that we could not have him on the broadcast,” Mr. Colbert told viewers Monday night. “Then I was told, in some uncertain terms, that not only could I not have him on, I could not mention me not having him on. And because my network clearly doesn’t want us to talk about this, let’s talk about this.”



CBS shared a different story, saying The Late Show was “not prohibited” from airing the segment.

The network executives said they warned that broadcasting the interview might trigger the FCC’s equal-time rule for two other candidates — including Mr. Talarico’s primary opponent, Rep. Jasmine Crockett — and that the show was given options for how to handle that.

“THE LATE SHOW decided to present the interview through its YouTube channel with on-air promotion on the broadcast rather than potentially providing the equal-time options,” the company said in a statement.

It appears, meanwhile, that The Late Show has not been eager to showcase the Republicans in the Texas Senate race.

Matt Mackowiak, senior advisor to the Cornyn campaign, said the senator has “never been asked to appear on that show.”

Advertisement
Advertisement

Mr. Cornyn is in a GOP primary against Rep. Wesley Hunt — who also has not been invited on The Late Show With Stephen Colbert — and Attorney General Ken Paxton, whose team was sent a request for comment.

Mr. Colbert, a frequent Trump critic, said the network was worried about violating guidance issued earlier this year by Brendan Carr, the Federal Communications Commission chair. The guidance addressed political bias on broadcast TV by requiring candidates for public office to receive equal time on late-night and daytime talk shows.

Mr. Colbert mocked the whole idea, saying Mr. Carr was relying on the rule for political reasons.

“Let’s just call this what it is: Donald Trump’s administration wants to silence anyone who says anything bad about Trump on TV, because all Trump does is watch TV, OK?” Mr. Colbert said. “He’s like a toddler with too much screen time. He gets cranky and then drops a load in his diaper.”

Mr. Talarico and his allies, meanwhile, lapped up the free media attention. He circulated the interview online and claimed the situation showed the Trump‑led Republicans were getting nervous.

Advertisement
Advertisement

“This is the interview Donald Trump didn’t want you to see,” Mr. Talarico said on X. “His FCC refused to air my interview with Stephen Colbert.”

He added, “Trump is worried we’re about to flip Texas.”

Others said CBS made the right call and that the FCC is trying to restore fairness in campaign coverage — something Republicans say has been lacking in the Texas Senate race.

A spokesperson for the Hunt campaign said, “The media industrial complex routinely elevates Democrats like James Talarico while ignoring conservative leaders who don’t fit their narrative.”

Advertisement
Advertisement

They added that if “late-night television truly valued real American stories,” Mr. Colbert would have asked Mr. Hunt, who is a former combat pilot, West Point graduate, and direct descendant of slaves, to appear on his show.

“The invitations never come,” said the Hunt aide.

When asked about CBS’s decision, the White House pointed reporters to the FCC, which did not respond to a request for comment.

All of this is unfolding as early primary voting got underway on Tuesday in Texas. To avoid a May runoff, a candidate must secure more than 50% of the primary vote.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Democrats have not won statewide in Texas in 30 years, but they are hoping that frustration with Mr. Trump and the economy could create a perfect political storm to break that streak this fall.

This isn’t Mr. Talarico’s first run-in with the FCC’s push.

Earlier in February, the agency reportedly opened an investigation into ABC’s “The View” after he appeared on the show, questioning whether it violated the equal‑time rule.

Mr. Carr’s Jan. 21 guidance spelled out that exemptions to the equal time rule apply to “bona fide” newcasts, news interviews, news documentaries, or news events – but not to late-night or daytime talk shows.

Advertisement
Advertisement

“For years, legacy TV networks assumed that their late night & daytime talk shows qualify as ‘bona fide news’ programs — even when motivated by purely partisan political purposes,” Mr. Carr posted on X at the time. “Today, the FCC reminded them of their obligation to provide all candidates with equal opportunities.”

Mr. Colbert announced in July that CBS had canceled The Late Show. He recently confirmed that the show’s final episode will air on May 21.

• Seth McLaughlin can be reached at smclaughlin@washingtontimes.com.

Copyright © 2026 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.