- The Washington Times - Monday, February 16, 2026

President Trump on Monday directed federal authorities to step in and aid the cleanup efforts of the wastewater spill in the Potomac River.

He blamed local officials for failing to get the job done, singling out Maryland Gov. Wes Moore, a Democrat.

An aging sewer pipe broke last month and caused nearly 250 million gallons of sewage to pour into the river. It ranks among the largest wastewater spills in U.S. history.



The 6-foot pipeline collapsed in mid-January and sent sewage into the river just north of Washington in Montgomery County, Maryland. Officials said the repair could take months.

The drinking water remains safe, but officials have warned to stay out of the water and thoroughly clean any clothing that gets wet from river water.

“There is a massive Ecological Disaster unfolding in the Potomac River as a result of the Gross Mismanagement of Local Democrat leaders, particularly, Governor Wes Moore, of Maryland,” Mr. Trump wrote on social media. “A sewer line breach in Maryland has caused millions of gallons of raw sewage to be dumped directly into the Potomac River, a result of incompetent Local and State Management of Essential Waste Management Systems.”

“This is the same Governor who cannot rebuild a Bridge. It is clear Local Authorities cannot adequately handle this calamity. Therefore, I am directing Federal Authorities to immediately provide all necessary Management, Direction, and Coordination to protect the Potomac, the Water Supply in the Capital Region, and our treasured National Resources in our Nation’s Capital City,” he said. “While State and Local Authorities have failed to request needed Emergency Help, I cannot allow incompetent Local ’Leadership’ to turn the River in the Heart of Washington into a Disaster Zone.”

He compared the river incident to that of the Palisades fire in Los Angeles, saying, “The Democrat War on Merit has real consequences.”

Advertisement
Advertisement

“The Federal Government has no choice, but to step in. FEMA, which is currently being defunded by the Democrats, will play a key role in coordinating the response,” he said.

FEMA is part of the current partial shutdown of the government affecting the Department of Homeland Security.

Mr. Trump has been targeting Mr. Moore as of late. He excluded him from the recent annual visit of the National Governors’ Association at the White House.

Mr. Moore’s office pushed back on the president’s blaming the governor and his team.

“The President has his facts wrong — again. Since the last century, the federal government has been responsible for the Potomac Interceptor, which is the origin of the sewage leak. For the last four weeks, the Trump Administration has failed to act, shirking its responsibility and putting people’s health at risk. Notably, the president’s own EPA explicitly refused to participate in the major legislative hearing about the cleanup last Friday. Apparently the Trump administration hadn’t gotten the memo that they’re actually supposed to be in charge here,” Moore spokesman Ammar Moussa said in a statement.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Mr. Moussa said Maryland officials were on site “within hours of the leak to do our part to coordinate the response, and ensure the public was aware and protected.”

“If the federal government is just now showing up to take action, we will work collaboratively — as we always do — to be responsive and keep the public informed about the federal government’s plan to remediate the damage,” he said. “The Potomac isn’t a talking point, and the people of the region deserve serious leadership that meets the moment.”

• Mallory Wilson can be reached at mwilson@washingtontimes.com.

Copyright © 2026 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.