MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - A juvenile was sexually assaulted recently at a Minneapolis homeless encampment.
The assault happened at one of the encampments in south Minneapolis’ Powderhorn Park neighborhood, Park and Recreation Board spokeswoman Dawn Sommers told the Star Tribune on Saturday.
The people who took the victim to the hospital did not call police, Sommers said. Staff at Abbott Northwestern Hospital called park police early Friday. Park police are investigating but have made no arrests.
Tents started appearing in the park earlier this month. Some people started migrating to the park after they were evicted from a makeshift shelter inside a Minneapolis hotel several blocks away. At least 200 tents were recently pitched there.
Please read our comment policy before commenting.