SAN MARINO, Calif. (AP) - A Southern California high school canceled an active-shooter drill after a complaint that having police officers firing blank cartridges could be too traumatic for students.
The drill had been scheduled for Friday at San Marino High School and was to include firing of blanks over 11 minutes to familiarize students with the sound of gunfire, the Los Angeles Times reported.
The intervention came from the American Civil Liberties Union of Southern California.
“Our objective is to ensure that youth are in schools that are sanctuaries of learning and not places where they’re inflicted with trauma,” said Sylvia Torres-Guillén, director of education equity for the organization.
The drill would have included a PowerPoint presentation and discussions on how students might run, hide or fight during a shooting. There also would have been an assembly with police and fire departments, the school superintendent and counselors.
Principal Issaic Gates said students had been notified about the drill since the start of the school year. He said he had heard some concern from parents but only the ACLU requested cancellation.
The school district now will plan a community-wide event on preparing for an active shooter. It will also apply for a federal grant under the STOP School Violence Program.
Please read our comment policy before commenting.