OMAHA, Neb. (AP) - Two Omaha high schools took the unusual step of postponing a rival basketball game following online rumors of a planned fight at the game.
Friday night’s game between Omaha North and Omaha Benson, which had been set to be played at North, was called off, the Omaha World-Herald reported. The cancellation was announced on Benson’s Twitter page, which said in part, “DO NOT GO TO NORTH; there is no game tonight.”
Omaha Police Officer Phil Anson said students were spreading rumors of a fight, but police had been unable to confirm that a fight “or any other confrontation was going to take place.”
Omaha Public Schools said in a message to North and Benson families that the game was called off “out of an abundance of caution.” The district is working to reschedule the game.
Please read our comment policy before commenting.