- The Washington Times - Wednesday, December 9, 2020

At least five demonstrations — including several pro-Trump rallies and one counterprotest — are being planned for this weekend in downtown Washington, prompting street closures and no parking areas downtown.

The March for Trump and the Million MAGA March, both of which attracted thousands of participants last month, are returning Saturday.

The March for Trump is set to begin at noon in Freedom Plaza, according to the website for Women For America First. The conservative group’s permit application to the National Park Service (NPS) requests use of Freedom Plaza, John Marshall Park and Upper Senate Park for a “First Amendment demonstration” with up to 5,000 attendees.



The Million MAGA March is scheduled from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the National Sylvan Theater, according to its Facebook event page. Attendees reportedly will march to Freedom Plaza, then to the U.S. Capitol Building.

A person named Alex Stovall sent a permit request to NPS for 500 people to attend a demonstration on “election integrity” at the Sylvan Theater, which is located near the Washington Monument on Independence Avenue SW.

Posts on the march’s Facebook page show nine people are scheduled to speak, including former Rep. Greg Hughes, Utah Republican.

During the Nov. 14 rallies, tensions between pro- and anti-Trump protesters were apparent. Metropolitan Police Chief Peter Newsham said the afternoon demonstrations were largely peaceful, but violence among counterprotesters erupted at night.

Shutdown DC, which hosted a counterprotest last month, is planning to do so again from 1 p.m. to 11:55 p.m. Saturday at Black Lives Matter Plaza.

Advertisement
Advertisement

The anti-fascism activist group’s website accuses Trump supporters and the Proud Boys of “destroying community artwork and memorials and starting fights with locals” during the rallies last month.

“A broad coalition of local organizations is mobilizing to defend Black Lives Matter starting on Friday evening when the Proud Boys start to arrive in town and until they leave on Saturday night,” the website states.

NPS has received permit requests for three other events at the National Mall this weekend.

A person named Rob Weaver is seeking to hold a “First Amendment faith based rally and march around the mall” with up to 5,000 people. The conservative groups 50 Days of Blessing and Women for a Great America aim to hold a worship event for 250 people to pray for a “peaceful election” and for President Trump.

And Public Citizen, a consumer advocacy nonprofit, is requesting a permit for 1,000 attendees at a “Free speech demonstration calling for the election results to be protected.”

Advertisement
Advertisement

The Metropolitan Police Department has announced numerous nearby street closures and no-parking areas that go into effect at different times Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

“MPD will have an increased presence downtown where the traffic closures are in place,” Kristen Metzger, deputy director of communications, said Wednesday in an email. “As with all First Amendment demonstrations, MPD will be monitoring and assessing the activities this weekend and planning accordingly with our federal law enforcement partners.”

• Emily Zantow can be reached at ezantow@washingtontimes.com.

Copyright © 2026 The Washington Times, LLC. Click here for reprint permission.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.