By Associated Press - Thursday, September 29, 2016

WAYNESVILLE, N.C. (AP) - The Haywood County Sheriff’s Office says a man was shot and killed in Waynesville after a homeowner said his home was being broken into.

The sheriff’s office told local media outlets that deputies responded to a residence around 12:45 a.m. Thursday after receiving a report of shots fired. When the deputies arrived, the homeowner told them he shot 54-year-old Kenneth C. Jones of Canton.

According to the sheriff’s office, Jones was dead when first responders arrived.



The homeowner said Jones was breaking into his home at the time of the shooting. Authorities determined there was no forcible entry to the home, and the two men knew each other.

No charges have been filed so far. Sheriff’s office spokeswoman Lindsay Regner said the incident is under investigation.

Copyright © 2026 The Washington Times, LLC.

Please read our comment policy before commenting.