COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Ohio’s governor says the state health director is stepping down later this month to return to private medical practice.
Director Theodore Wymyslo (WIMZ’-loh) has led the Ohio Department of Health since 2011. He previously worked as a family physician in Montgomery County.
Gov. John Kasich (KAY’-sik) said in a statement Tuesday he respected Wymyslo’s desire to return to practicing medicine and working with patients.
Wymsylo has advocated for so-called patient-centered medical homes, a model of primary care focused on keeping patients healthy. He’s also had a prominent role recently in an abortion clinic’s closure.
Wymsylo revoked the license of a suburban Cincinnati clinic and ordered it closed, questioning whether it followed rules to provide patient backup care.
A judge on Friday allowed the clinic to remain amid a court fight.
Please read our comment policy before commenting.